Wednesday, November 5, 2008

November 4, 2008

Most of you know I don't have a great love for politics, and I often keep my opinions to myself.
I did, however, feel a great need and desire to speak with my kids on the significance of last nights election results. Thanks to their lovely teachers I spent the last week explaining primaries, delegates, and electoral votes, but last night I threw politics out the window and spoke on simply the history that was made.
We talked with grandma and grandpa, aunts and uncles, and my great aunt (96 years young) who I'm pretty sure still has no idea who I am. She explained how while she did not vote for Pres.-elect Obama, she could appreciate the history that was made and that it brought her to tears because she never thought she would see this day. (She then hung up without saying bye)
I let my kids respond and tell me their feelings. They talked mostly on what they had learned in school and how far we've come since those times. I told them stories of my grandparents and great grandparents. One of my great aunts was one of the first Black women to vote in the state of Mississippi. I wanted them to remember this day, to be able to tell their grandkids "I remember when.."
There were a few tears and we watched all the speeches and as I sent them off to bed my dear Layla summed it up "Wow, I can't believe Bronco Bama won!"

6 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Thank you. I know the worlds we come from are very different. My world (the Army)was a very integrated place for my whole life. I need to often remind myself that it wasn't that way everywhere and it still isn't. I am glad for the historical significance if not for the policy-driven one. Hee Hee.

Harold said...

Well there were no tears of sadness in this house. My kids have been given a healthy dose of politics at school. Emma came home cheering, saying "the world was going to be a better place because Obama won." Logan didn't like MaCain be cause he had been to prison. Harold had to explain that prisoner of war and prisoner are two different things. I wonder where they hear it all. We don't discuss politics with them either. They are only 6 and 8. I wonder what they heard in the classroom and what they heard on the playground.
Regardless America has picked it's new president and I hope we can all play nice.
Also history was made yesterday. We have grown a lot. We have a black president.

Linda said...

Your great aunt sounds awesome.:-) I am so glad you blogged about Obama becoming president because it truly is awesome. While I may not have voted for him, it makes me feel good that maybe the country I love isn't as backwards as I sometimes think.

Unknown said...

I'm with Layla go bronco bama!!! Everyone needs to pray for our new pres to be and move on!

snapie said...

I hate when I am signed in on mikes! That last comment was from me ELKE!!!!

ShaneFarside said...

Hey Tina!! Yes...we have come a very long way! I didn't vote for...who is it, Bronco Bama! haha...but he's our President now...so I'm supporting him now...anyways, Happy Veterans Day to you and the Fam. How are things going? Well, I'm in Texas for some training...woo hoo...I thought I was done with the military...lol...j/k. Well miss ya...